Mastering the fundamentals of visual design is powerful tool to have in a product designer’s toolbox, allowing you to develop compelling, high fidelity design solutions.
In this workshop, we’ll take a deep dive into the fundamentals of visual design, covering everything from layout, to typography, to visual idea generation. Whether you’re a UX designer or interaction designer, this workshop will give you a working knowledge of visual design, helping you to develop full visual mockups from your own wireframes and sketches.
As visual design is a hands-on discipline, alongside key instruction you’ll spend 50% of the day working on your own visual design explorations and critiquing fellow attendees’ work.
What you'll learn
- the basics of form - understanding lines, surfaces & volumes
- layout and composition - how to convey meaning through layout
- typography - understanding typography grids and alignment
- colour & images - combining colour palettes and imagery effectively
- icons - designing intuitive and consistent icons.
Who it's for
Any designer wishing to develop their visual literacy, or designers wishing to move towards full-stack product design.
What to bring
You’ll need a laptop for this workshop, as well as graphic design software such as Sketch or Affinity Designer (free or trial version).